Saturday, March 7, 2009

Weight check and ER visit

It has been a crazy week for us. Addison came down with a cold about a week and a half ago, just a runny nose and some head congestion. On Sunday she started with a cough. She has been a little cranky but doing ok. On Thursday a.m. I called the on-call doctor around 5:00 a.m. because Addison had a temperature of 101.9, I explained her symptoms and they suggested Sean and I bring her to the ER. Once we got to the emergency room, the nurse took her vitals and her temp was down to 100.8, then the nurse explained to us that they were going to run a bunch of tests and that they could also decide to admit her because she is so young. Once we saw the doctor, he ordered blood work, chest xray, urine culture and a nasal swab to test for a virus. Poor Addison, they had to stick her 3 times to get blood for all the tests and also a catheder to get the urine. She did so well, a little tears but quickly quieted down once she was held by me or Sean. All of the tests came back negative so they let us take her home and told us to give her some tylenol if she needed it for the fever.
We had a doctor's appointment that day anyways for her weight check so we discussed everything with her pediatrician and she agreed with what the ER doc had told us. As for her weight, Sean and I were very pleased when they told us she had gained 10 oz since her last visit two weeks ago! The Doctor was happy that she had gained weight after being sick, but would still like her to gain more. So we are now giving her a little more at each feeding and increased the amount of formula that we are giving her. She has her two month check up on the 19th, so we will see if she is on the charts yet for her weight.
The weather was gorgeous today, I can't believe that it was just about 60 degrees! When I got home from doing some school stuff, I got Addison all bundled up and went for a nice walk. It was great to get outside, and I think the fresh air did us both some good!
We are looking forward to her feeling better, hopefully within the next day or two. She is still a little stuffy and has a cough but the fever is gone and she is happy as can be (most of the time). I am sure this will be one of many colds she will get while she is little.

No comments:

Post a Comment